Addison Estates

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

THE UNOFFICIAL CASTLE OF DURAND

DREAM BIG FRESH BRICK  LOVERS...26 Ravenscliffe Ave., and its chimneys, towers, turrets and 10 bedrooms, are up for grabs!

Now is your chance to own an important piece of Hamilton history - not to mention your own Victorian castle. This landmark home is truly spectacular.  All it takes is the spark of a dream to catalyze the opportunity of a lifetime. Make the move and start making memories in Ravenscliffe.


FRESH FACT
The circa 1881 estate first hit the market in 2010 for close to $3 million. Now listed at $1.59 million. Coming soon to realtor.ca! Listed by Colette Cooper & Zena Dalton of Judy Marsales Real Estate Ltd.


FRESH FEATURES

  • Scottish Stone exterior, dramatic roof lines, tall windows, multiple turrets
  • Nestled under the escarpment in beautiful Durand neighbourhood
  • Located on one of Hamilton's premier streets
  • Approx. 11,000 sq. ft. 
  • Spacious principal rooms with 12' ceilings, beautiful carved woodwork, trim, beams & intricate plaster mouldings
  • 8+2 bedrooms and 5.5 baths
  • Castle Keep from the 3rd storey offers magnificent views of the City
  • Grand foyer on main level
  • Spacious landing on the bedroom level
  • 2 staircases including the true butler stairs to former butler quarters
  • Basement walk-up
  • Circular drive & carport.













VIEW Virtual Tour Here


HISTORY

Powered by HENLEY'S HAMILTON

Built in 1881 and designed by Hamilton architect James Balfour was, and remains, one of the Ambitious City’s most notable mansions.

Balfour, also responsible for the design of Hamilton 1890 era City Hall on James Street North, included both a square tower on the east side ( left in the photo,) and a round turret to the west (right in photo) in distinctive architecture Ravenscliffe.

Originally set in grounds covering 9 acres, between Hess and Caroline streets, near the base of the escarpment, Ravenscliffe was approached by a long, circular driveway.

After the World War one era, the grounds of the palatial mansion were gradually divided and sold for the building of other beautiful homes. The long driveway is now Ravenscliffe Avenue.




ALSO FOR SALE ON RAVENSCLIFFE AVENUE
W.E. PHIN MANSION CIRCA 1908


 

Click to learn more!
CLICK TO LEARN MORE!


No comments:

Post a Comment