Sunday, May 29, 2016

(AD)DRESS TO IMPRESS

Written by Adam Wilson     Photographed by Tom Vogel

as published in the Spring 2016 issue of Hamilton Magazine





Architecture and fashion intersect at the point of impression. Where we live and what we wear are the ultimate, unspoken, statements of one’s personal brand. They are both driven by functionality, but also personality and style. In its very essence, your home is meant to be a place of comfort, safety and self-expression—it’s supposed to represent who you are.




And if who you are seeks elegance, tradition and grace (along with a little ‘I’ve arrived’), the stately 1929 Georgian mansion located at 403 Queen Street South in Hamilton is meant for you.






This address to impress, currently listed for $3.995 million, spans two city blocks and features seven bedrooms, eight bathrooms, nine fireplaces, resort-style entertaining with a salt water pool and 12 person spill-over spa, PLUS character details of a bygone era including  2 foot high baseboards and a solarium featuring original arched leaded glass windows.




ADVERTISEMENT: CLICK TO LEARN MORE


Listing agent, and luxury real estate authority, Sarit Zalter calls 403 Queen a ‘destination home’ that is truly one of the nicest properties in Hamilton. It enables a lifestyle that many dream of and we wanted to bring this to life in this special ‘architecture-meets-fashion’ feature outfitted by Hanleys of Ancaster. Like a classic Georgian, their pieces endure, are on trend and promise to make you and your life more beautiful.


And the ‘bricks’ and ‘threads’ of this article have more in common than you might think. Like architecture, fashion is an art dealing with structure and shape, one that relates to the form and function of the human body.



Stephanie Trendocher of beaux-mondes.com reminded me that Coco Chanel said it best “Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.”



Both 403 Queen Street and the curated looks from Hanleys parallel the defining elements of Georgian design which are simplicity, symmetry, proportion and classical style. Hamilton style makers, Natalie Sexton and Stephanie Trendocher, are dressed to impress within this address to impress.  All fashions featured are available in-store at Hanleys (382 Wilson St E) and online at hanleys.ca.  




Q&A with Natalie Sexton
Fashion Expert & Owner "Sexton in the City" Boutique    


Natalie has been a stylist and makeup artist for over a decade and loves to help women find their own personal style in an affordable and enjoyable way. Her passion for fashion and all things girly have been the driving force behind her Canadian-made brand, Sexton in the City, which offers makeup, clothing & accessories (170 Locke St S. and online at sextoninthecity.ca)

Features of 403 Queen Street that made the strongest statement
I thought the house was incredible, it's almost impossible to choose one element that stood out more than another. But I have to say I was obsessed with the 2 storey spiral staircase! 



How would you describe your personal style? What are your signatures?

Personally I am a girly girl, I love dresses and skirts and am known for wearing them quite often but I never pigeon hole myself to one particular look. I have loved to play dress-up since I was 6 and that really hasn't changed! My signature is definitely a bold bright lip colour, you will rarely catch me without my lipstick on! 


Where do you find your inspiration? What are your outlets?
I am inspired by so many different outlets. First and foremost would be my daughter Megan, she is definitely my muse. Whether she is in sneakers and jeans or a frilly dress she always makes the look her own. I think that also comes from confidence and I am always drawn and inspired by that in people. From walking down Locke Street to looking through the latest edition of Vogue, fashion is always changing and that is the fun of it. 




I am very blessed to have so many creative outlets, from my blog and social media (Instagram, Facebook etc.) to regular guest segments on The Marilyn Denis Show (CTV) and CHCH-TV Morning Live. I have also had the pleasure of collaborating with a variety of different magazines and brands on fashion and beauty campaigns.

Go-to places for fashion and accessories in the Hamilton area (assume Sexton in the city is #1:))
Obviously SITC is my #1! But there are so many amazing shops in Hamilton like La Bichette and Dakota Mae and a great new local vintage Boutique I love called The Haberdashery.

Why are you passionate about Hamilton – and why should others be?

I was born and raised in Hamilton. This community has embraced me and my business, the support that we give each other here to shop local and the importance of community is really amazing. Our city just keeps getting better. We have incredible shops, restaurants, neighbourhoods and so much more. SITC boutique has teamed up with True Hamiltonian to sell "Hamilton is Home" tees because it truly is, that message really resonates to me. 





ADVERTISEMENT: CLICK TO LEARN MORE

Q&A with Stephanie Trendocher
Founder and Content Creator, beaux-modes.com



By day, Stephanie is a marketing strategist for the provincial public transit agency. She also loves working as an ambassador of the arts through her advisory roles with young professional groups at the Art Gallery of Hamilton, Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra and Tourism Hamilton. By night she is the blogger behind the blog Beaux Mondes. She splits her time between a charming century home in downtown Hamilton and a modern flat in Toronto. 




Features of 403 Queen Street that made the strongest statement
The details in period homes that you don’t see in new builds today. The arched leaded glass windows in the solarium made my heart go pitter patter. As did the built-in China cabinets with original leaded glass doors and brass fixtures in the dining room.



How would you describe your personal style? What are your signatures?
I would describe my style as understated luxe. I almost always wear black. Which probably seems dull. But I’m more interested in the tailoring, texture and subtle details of clothes. I find myself drawn to luxurious fabrics that will last and wear beautifully over time. As far as style icons, I admire the style of Phoebe Philo, Gaia Repossi and Caroline de Maiget. Each have a signature look, a uniform of sorts.

Where do you find your inspiration? What are your outlets?
Whether here in Hamilton, or out exploring other cities I love finding beauty in unexpected places. You’ll always find me with a camera in hand, capturing life’s moments. Beaux Mondes has been my way to share the stories of inspiring designers, artists, makers, shopkeepers, chefs and entrepreneurs – each making or doing beautiful things in their city. I hope others are inspired by what they see on my blog – to discover the beauty in their city, wardrobe or home.



Go-to places for fashion and accessories in the Hamilton area
Hanleys carries so many of my favourite labels – Vince and Theory (to name a few) as well as Canadian designers like Jennifer Torosian, Judith & Charles and LINE Knitwear. La Bichette is my go-to for underthings by local designer Mary Young and Dalish Cosmetics, a Canadian organic makeup line. I also love LAB Consignment. They are new to Hamilton, and you can find designer pieces here without the designer price tag.


Why are you passionate about Hamilton – and why should others be?
I’m drawn to Hamilton’s cultural vibrancy, creative energy, and ‘can do’ spirit. I love to be a part of the positive change that is happening here. I feel incredibly lucky to live in a neighbourhood filled with beautiful Victorian homes, and historically and architecturally significant buildings. The city is full of character and you can walk or bike to local boutiques, farmers markets, antique shops, coffee houses and art galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment